Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Disaster recovery planning

2001-08-29 17:32:00
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Disaster recovery planning
From: Peter.McFarlane AT capitalone DOT com (McFarlane, Peter)
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 17:32:00 -0400
     NetBackup doesn't seem to give you much help for DR planning.

     What we are doing is to take regular Ignite images of the NetBackup
     master/media server, including the NetBackup software. The NetBackup
     catalogues are backed up seperately to tape. This uses a set of
     scripts to get each nights catalogue backup on to a seperate tape as
     Veritas seem to think that you'll want to alternate these backups
     between the same two tapes.

     The procedure for DR is to build a replacement NetBackup sevrer using
     the Ignite image. This gives us a working NetBackup system minus the
     catalogue. The catalogue is then recovered from tape. We then change
     the drive configuration to match the set up of the DR box.

     At this point we have a working Master/Media server. During the last
     DR test this process took about 2 hours.

     Peter McFarlane