Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] disaster recovery planning

2001-08-29 12:34:35
Subject: [Veritas-bu] disaster recovery planning
From: bryer AT sfu DOT ca (Jeff Bryer)
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 09:34:35 -0700 (PDT)
>I am looking at setting up a disaster recovery plan for HP-UX and NT/2000
>and possibly Novell.  What NetBackup tools or software is available or

I can tell you what we've done here with Novell and Solaris.  We haven't
yet got IDR working on NT/2000 (hopefully we'll get some time to finish
that up).

We get one set of tapes offsite for DR (the most recent weekly fulls).
We generate a report for what's on the tapes using admincmd/bpimmedia.

For Novell we have a pair of servers with the NB client installed,
and each has a copy of all the defined targets.  We'd have to install
the OS, load up the TSA and do an alternate target restore from the
other server (if you want you can rename the server, and redefine
the target).  If we lose everything, then we'd had to install the OS,
config the server, install the client/targets, restore NDS, then restore
the data.  That has been tested here.

For Solaris (Unix) there has been a previous discussion about a bare
metal recovery product for use with Veritas.  If we lose a server,
we stick a replacement system disk in another server, lay out the
partition table like it was before (so you need some documentation
for that), do an alternate restore to that disk, run installboot to
make the disk bootable and put it into the failed server.  If
we lose everything, we have a ufsdump tape for our Veritas master
server, which we can recover from after booting from CD.  Use the
catalogue tape to restore the NB config, and then use that machine
to rebuild the rest of the servers disks.

--
Jeff Bryer                              bryer AT sfu DOT ca
Systems Administrator                   (604) 291-4935