Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Behvoural question

2001-04-19 11:36:06
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Behvoural question
From: David A. Chapa" <david AT xbpadm-commands DOT com (David A. Chapa)
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 08:36:06 -0700 (PDT)
Troubleshooting Guide, Appendix A. Functional Overview.

Does a pretty good job of outlining what Netbackup is
doing.

Other than that, well maybe someone will publish
something soon ;-)

David

Quoting "Marelas, Peter" <MarelP AT australia.stortek DOT com>:

> I tend to compare the logs of a successful backup to
a failed backup.
> It also helps to know the steps Netbackup takes to
execute a backup.
> I havent found a good document for this.
>
> When fishing through logs, you need to look at more
than just one log.
> Netbackup, spawns multiple processes that communicate
with each
> other to perform a backup and each type of process
writes to its own log.

> Regards
> Peter Marelas

happen on the same
> set
> > of
> > clients. I've found that logging above level 1
increases the amount of
> > occurences.
> >
> > Having said that I'm a newbie to Netbackup. Being a
newbie I find
> > troubleshooting with the logs can be like reading
another language. How
> > did you
> > experienced Netbackupers become familiar with the
logs? Do you just keep
> > reading
> > and reading and reading until it becomes English or
is there some sort of

--------------------
> > ---|
> > |
> >   |     To:     "'Jason Ahrens [ahrensj AT psi DOT ca]'"
<AhrensJ AT psi DOT ca>

> >   |       Veritas BU <veritas-
bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>

> >   |     cc:     (bcc: Khris K. Adams/CA-
Canada/3M/US)

--------------------
> > ---|
> >

> > I've seen this in the past but have never been able
to track the cause.
> > The
> > error I usually receive is a 41.
> >
> > Ken Zufall
> > 330.202.4113
> >
> > "It's not the most difficult job in the world, but
I do have to know all
> > the
> > letters." - Vanna White

PM
> >           To:  Veritas BU
> >           Subject:  [Veritas-bu] Behvoural question
> >
> >           I imagine our setup here is
somewhat 'typical' for a large
> > environemnt.
> >           100Meg systems feeding 1Gig networks to a
L700 tape silo.

> >           A few times a week, I have NetBackup fail
a backup with an
> > error 4x code
> >           (some kind of transient network error).
These always seem to
> > be on NT
> >           machines (proportionally, there are more
NT than Unix, so it
> > might not be
> >           directly related).
> >
> >           Looking at the network itself, I cannot
find any switches
> > reporting errors
> >           between the client and the server.
Netbackup On sebsequent
> > attempts,
> >           NetBackup is successfull in completing
the backup.

> >           Has anyone else seen this behaviour?
> >
> >           Jason

bu
bu

bu
bu

David A. Chapa
Consulting Manager
DataStaff, Inc.
847 413 1144
http://www.consulting.datastaff.com
http://www.xbpadm-commands.com
NBU-LSERV AT datastaff DOT com - Adv. Scripting