Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] The NetBackup FAQ has been updated.

2001-01-15 04:48:36
Subject: [Veritas-bu] The NetBackup FAQ has been updated.
From: W. Curtis Preston curtis AT colltech DOT com
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 01:48:36 -0800
The NetBackup FAQ has been updated.  I've put a lot of new stuff in there,
including a bunch of things about NDMP, NT, and a new section devoted to
the Media Manager.  Enjoy, folks!

The HTML and text versions are both available at:

http://www.backupcentral.com/netbackup-faq.html

DIFFERENCES

If you're interested in the differences between this and the last
version of the faq, here is a diff:
38,39c38
<           How do I get documentation and help with my NetBackup
<           installation?
---
 >           How do I get help with my NetBackup installation?
42,43c41,42
<           What are the different versions, how do I know which one I
<           have, and how do they behave?
---
 >           What are the different versions, and how do I know which one I
 >           have?
46c45
<           How is this product licensed, and how does that affect me?
---
 >           How is this product licensed?
82,84d80
<
<    [16]Media Manager
<           Questions regarding NetBackup's Media Manager
103d98
<   16. file://localhost/home2/curtis/backupcentral-www/netbackup-faq-14.html
211,225d205
<    Q: What about documentation?  What's available?
<
<    There's actually quite a bit:
<
<    On UNIX, there are actually three directories with manpages under
<    /usr/openv  (/usr/openv/man, /usr/openv/netbackup/man,
<    /usr/openv/volmgr/man).  If you set your MANPATH to include these
<    directories, there's quite a bit of help there.
<
<    On NT, there is the standard NT help, of course.
<
<    On all platforms, there are PDF versions of all the manuals
<    available.  These files are shipped with the software.  If you don't
<    have them, you should contact your sales rep.
<
346,391d325
<    Q: How can I tell which tapes will be needed for a particular restore?
<     1. If you are using the Java GUI, start the restore, and click
<        "Preview Media Required".
<     2. You can also perform the restore (either via the GUI or command
<        line), and have messages written to a log file.  The beginning of
<        the log will contain a list of tapes needed for the restore.
<
<    Q: How do I restore from NDMP tapes, especially without NetBackup?
<
<    From: Chris Graves <cmg AT bow.rsc.raytheon DOT com>
<
<    We have read backup tapes created on the NetApp using NDMP manually
<    using the following two methods:
<
<    1) Veritas via NDMP just uses the NetApp "dump" command to creat the
<    backups.  This format is compatible with ufsdump, thus the tape can be
<    read on a Solaris system using ufsrestore (though some information
<    maybe lost if using NT ACL's).
<
<    2) the following is cut and paste from my notes. empress is the Sun
<    where Veritas is installed and odin is the NetApp...
<
<    to restore files on odin without the aid of netbackup:
<
<    from empress, have a tape mounted:
<    tpreq -ev def100 -p odin-vol0-full /tmp/tp
<
<    now do look at /tmp/tp to find out what tape drive has the tape
<    cat /tmp/tp
<    odin /ndmp/nrst0a
<
<    from odin, we can manipulate the tape using mt:
<    mt -f nrst0a status
<
<    cd to the directory where you want files restored to
<
<    to list dumpfile contents:
<    restore tf nrst0a
<
<    to restore the files:
<    restore xf nrst0a ./dir/path
<
<    when finished, unload tape:
<    tpunmount /tmp/tp
<
<
417,440d350
<    Q: Can non-root or non-Administrator personnel administer NetBackup?
<
<    A: This is possible in a number of ways.
<
<    On UNIX:
<
<      Use the suggestions in the NetBackup Admin Guide labelled "Allowing
<      nonroot users to administer NetBackup."  They amount to using chmod
<      to change the permissions of the executables, and possible making a
<      special group for non-root administrators.
<
<    On NT:
<
<      Just use the NT Administrative Client:
<
<      From Bob Bakh <bbakh AT veritas DOT com>:
<
<      "It slices it dices and does all you ask for and more.  Just set up
<      the users pc as a server in the bp.conf, restart the daemons or on
<      NT sacrifice a lamb, or is that add their PC to the server list and
<      restart services. The Administrative client can be found on any
<      NetBackup Server CD, run the server install and select Server
<      install, you get 3 choices, Master, Media, and Admin Client."
<
632,647d541
<    Q: How do I recycle (or deassign) database backup tapes?
<
<    (From Geoffrey-Booher <gbooher AT officedepot DOT com>)
<
<    vmquery -deassignbyid media_id n 0
<
<    media_id is the tape media id
<    n  is the pool number assigned to NBDB pool.  You can determine the
<    pool number with:
<
<    vmquery -m media_id
<
<    This will deassign it unless it is frozen.  The vmquery command is in
<    \Veritas\Netbackup\Volmgr\bin
<    (or /user/openv/netbackup/volmgr/bin for UNIX)
<
1020,1021d913
<
<                               [4]Next Section
1028,1124d919
<    4. file://localhost/home2/curtis/backupcentral-www/netbackup-faq-14.html
<
<
<   =======================================================
<   netbackup-faq-14.html
<   =======================================================
<
<
<
<                    NetBackup FAQ - v0.20 - Media Manager
<
<    [1]Return to the FAQ's Table of Contents
<
<    Q: How do I determine which volumes are assigned to which volume
<    manager?
<
<    bpmedialist -l -o
<
<    Q: I have tapes whose physical expiration date is shorter than I'd
<    like.  How do I change that date?
<
<    The date to which we are referring is the date that you see in
<    vmquery, and is the date that the volume itself should be expired, and
<    no longer used.  This is not related to the expiration date of the
<    images on the tape.
<
<    vmchange -M master -h volhost -exp 0 -m mediaid
<
<    The command above will tell media manager that the tape should never
<    expire.
<
<    vmchange -M master -h volhost -exp mm/dd/yy -m mediaid
<
<    This will set it to expire on a specific date.
<
<    Q: How do I tell the Media Manager that I have a cleaning tape?
<
<    From: "Dennis Dwyer" <dfdwyer AT tecoenergy DOT com>
<
<    When you enter a Cleaning Tape into a library via NetBackup you have
<    to tell it how many cleanings the tape is good for. A new tape is good
<    for 20 cleanings and when that number is exhausted, it will not be
<    mounted again.
<
<    From: "RYAN C. ANDERSON" <RYAN_ANDERSON AT udlp DOT com>
<
<    One can make a home-brewed approach to finding out cleanings that are
<    left by lifting the cleaning data using this command (with DLTs):
<
<    vmquery -mt dlt_clean -b
<
<    Q: How often should I clean my drives?
<
<    This question comes up quite a bit, and there is no really good
<    answer.  The manuals for many modern drives (DLT, AIT, others) say to
<    clean the drives only when they say they need it (e.g. "when the light
<    comes on").  The way this is done in NetBackup is via the "TapeAlert"
<    feature.  You tell NetBackup that the cleaning frequency is 0, and it
<    will clean it only when the drive requests to be cleaned.
<    Unfortunately, there are many configurations under which the TapeAlert
<    feature does not work.  As you can see in the quote below, cleaning a
<    drive too often can actually cause more harm than good.  You will need
<    to find a frequency that works for you.  If TapeAlert doesn't work, I
<    would start by talking to your tape drive vendor.  Ask them (a) why it
<    doesn't work and what they're doing about it, and (b) how often you
<    should clean the drives in the meantime.
<
<    From: "Dave Pearson (EML)" <Dave.Pearson AT eml.ericsson DOT se>
<
<    We also have an L11000 and haven't been able to get TapeAlert
<    (cleaning when a drive requests it) to work. Sun told us it is a known
<    problem and they have reported it to Veritas.
<
<    We used to clean our drives every 20 hours until we started getting
<    lots of media write errors. We had all the drives replaced and the
<    problems went away. The engineer said the drives are basically
<    self-cleaning and even if the light does come on it usually goes out
<    when the next tape is loaded. However, he suggested 120 hours as a
<    reasonal interval for scheduled cleaning. So we set it to that and, so
<    far, no cleaning lights and no more errors.
<
<
<                             [2]Previous Section
<
<                             [3]Table of Contents
<
<
<