Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] (no subject)

2000-09-11 11:52:47
Subject: [Veritas-bu] (no subject)
From: Rob Worman rob AT colltech DOT com
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 10:52:47 -0500
here is the response I got from a helpful NetApp engineer:

>Rob,
>
>The way to exclude files on NetApp when using NetBackup
>with NDMP is to use an entry in the file list that sets
>the EXCLUDE NDMP environmental variable.
>
>For example, if you wanted to exclude a directory named
>/vol/vol1/A, but wanted to dump the rest of the volume,
>your NetBackup class file list would look like this:
>
>   SET EXCLUDE = A
>   /vol/vol1
>
>To exclude multiple files or directories, you would use
>commas to delimit the field:
>
>   SET EXCLUDE = A,B,C
>   /vol/vol1
>
>The rules are stated as being the same as they are for
>native dump commands.
>
>The exclude list is specified
>relative to the dump path.  If a directory name
>or file name contains a space, you probably
>need to enclose the string in quotes:
>
>   SET EXCLUDE = 'file with space in name'
>   /vol/volx

and I took the liberty of transcribing the ONTAP documentation that
describes the rules for the native dump command:

=========
(from p.462 of the "Data ONTAP Software 5.3
System Adminstrator's Guide")

You can specify a comma-separated list of strings.  If the name of
the file in the dump path matches one of the strings, the dump
command excludes that file from the backup.  Each string for the X
option applies to files at every directory under the dump path.

The following list describes the rules for specifying the strings:

-To exclude a file, the name of the file must match the string
exactly.  For example, if you specify "core", only those files whose
names are "core" are excluded.  A file named "a.core" is not excluded.

-You can use the asterisk (*) as a wildcard character.

-The wildcard character must be the first or last character of the
string.  Each string can contain up to two wildcard characters.  For
example, you can specify any of the following:
     *.core
     core.*
     *core.*
But a specification of "core*.1" is not a valid string.

-Because the strings in the list are comma-separated, if you want to
exclude files whose names contain a comma, precede the comma in the
string with a backslash (\)

-You can specify up to 32 strings for this option.

rob