Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SUMMARY: exclude list on netapps?

2000-09-11 12:10:39
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SUMMARY: exclude list on netapps?
From: Rob Worman rob AT colltech DOT com
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 11:10:39 -0500
(whoops, the first one of these went out without a subject.  sorry 'bout that)

My question was: is it possible to exclude files from a backup carried out by
the NetBackup NDMP extension?

Here is the response I got from a helpful NetApp engineer:

>Rob,
>
>The way to exclude files on NetApp when using NetBackup
>with NDMP is to use an entry in the file list that sets
>the EXCLUDE NDMP environmental variable.
>
>For example, if you wanted to exclude a directory named
>/vol/vol1/A, but wanted to dump the rest of the volume,
>your NetBackup class file list would look like this:
>
>   SET EXCLUDE = A
>   /vol/vol1
>
>To exclude multiple files or directories, you would use
>commas to delimit the field:
>
>   SET EXCLUDE = A,B,C
>   /vol/vol1
>
>The rules are stated as being the same as they are for
>native dump commands.
>
>The exclude list is specified
>relative to the dump path.  If a directory name
>or file name contains a space, you probably
>need to enclose the string in quotes:
>
>   SET EXCLUDE = 'file with space in name'
>   /vol/volx

and I took the liberty of transcribing the ONTAP documentation that describes
the rules for the native dump command:

=========
(from p.462 of the "Data ONTAP Software 5.3
System Adminstrator's Guide")

You can specify a comma-separated list of strings.  If the name of the file in
the dump path matches one of the strings, the dump command excludes that file
from the backup.  Each string for the X option applies to files at every
directory under the dump path.

The following list describes the rules for specifying the strings:

-To exclude a file, the name of the file must match the string exactly.  For
example, if you specify "core", only those files whose names are "core" are
excluded.  A file named "a.core" is not excluded.

-You can use the asterisk (*) as a wildcard character.

-The wildcard character must be the first or last character of the string.
Each string can contain up to two wildcard characters.  For example, you can
specify any of the following:
    *.core
    core.*
    *core.*
But a specification of "core*.1" is not a valid string.

-Because the strings in the list are comma-separated, if you want to exclude
files whose names contain a comma, precede the comma in the string with a
backslash (\)

-You can specify up to 32 strings for this option.