Networker

Re: [Networker] strange Windows volume name when using All saveset

2013-07-23 18:48:12
Subject: Re: [Networker] strange Windows volume name when using All saveset
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 17:41:09 -0500
In regard to: RE: [Networker] strange Windows volume name when using All...:

One thing you could do is change the save set definition to ALL-NTFS -
assuming that all your file systems are NTFS .... pretty sure it works
for most file system types, I've used ALL-NTFS,
ALL-UFS,ALL-ZFS,ALL-LOFS, pretty sure it works for FAT and EXT3 also  -
would remove the risk of a file system being missed (although that
sounds quite low in your environment)

That's a fantastic suggestion!  I had forgotten that capability even
existed.  I'll run it by our Windows admins and see what they think about
piloting that on a few hosts in our environment.

The risk is only low because our Windows guys are so thorough.  We
use "All" on all the Linux and UNIX clients because the rest of us aren't
as reliable.  ;-)  Besides, even low risk isn't the same as no risk, so
anything we can do to avoid human error is worth investigating.

Thanks again!

Tim