Networker

Re: [Networker] group question

2013-02-20 08:12:32
Subject: Re: [Networker] group question
From: Riku Valli <riku.valli AT UTA DOT FI>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 15:11:59 +0200
On 02/20/2013 02:44 PM, Dag Nygren wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 February 2013 09:47:12 Claessen, John wrote:
>
>> 2. There is not really a maximum, but EMC is advising to put no more than 50
> clients in 1 group.
>> Better have 10 groups start every 5 minutes than 100 clients start at the
> same time in 1 group.
>
> Interesting!
> Can you give me a reference to that advice? I have seen a lot more problems
> with many groups than with less groups, resource starvation etc.
>
> Best
> Dag
Read Networker Performance Tuning Guide (s 36)

The best approach for group parallelism values is:

◆ Create save groups with a maximum of 50 clients with group parallelism
enforced. Large save groups with more than 50 clients can result in many
operating system processes starting at the same time causing temporary
operating system resource exhaustion.

◆ Stagger save group start times by a small amount to reduce the load on the
operating system. For example, it is best to have 4 save groups, each
with 50
clients, starting at 5 minute intervals than to have 1 save group with
200 clients.

Read more from guide.

Regards, Riku