Networker

[Networker] Upgrade to 8.x???

2013-01-29 15:30:11
Subject: [Networker] Upgrade to 8.x???
From: bingo <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 12:29:20 -0800
I think there is some misunderstanding here about what is supported and what is
possible.

 - Any old filesystem client should run with a newer NW server/SN. To the best
of my knowledge, this is a mandatory key demand.
   Do not forget that you might not be able to upgrade a client do to
client-site compatibility issues. So do you delete him from the data zone? - of
course not!
   However, EMC will not test all possible combinations. Consequently, EMC will
not support it.

 - Some NW modules however demand the installation of the latest NW client
version (see screenshot). For instance NMM 2.4.1. It clearly states it when
your client SW is older.

 - Technically, i do not see a problem to update server/SN from any older NW
version (at least not since 7.3).
   Today i tested a direct upgrade on an fresh installed NW 7.4 (no NMC)
version to 8.0.1 without any problem. I admit the DBs were empty but i do not
see a technical issue here.
   Once again, EMC has not tested it an will therefore not support it.

If you are in doubt, just copy your NW server and test it (more thoroughly than
i did).
Hey - it's NetWorker! - It uses the same databases for years. What can really
go wrong?

 (http://postimage.org/image/xhzp28jvl/)