Networker

Re: [Networker] List alive ?

2013-01-23 11:09:50
Subject: Re: [Networker] List alive ?
From: Bill Wilkie <billwilkie AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 16:09:46 +0000
Thierry: As I mentioned in an earlier post, I too developed some tools to
diagnose problems with Networker and perform an analysis.  I too thought it
would be a welcome addition to any Networker shop, but that was when I realized
that even if you can diagnose a problem, the person looking at it must STILL
know what the problem is and how to fix it and THAT is what is lacking and not
the contents or quality of the tool. For example, I offered a free Health Check
to a Very Large customer and on a conference call/WEBEX I reviewed their data
with them asking them to hold their questions until the end of the
presentation. As I pointed out the problems in each display, I heard a slight
giggle. When curiosity got the best of me, I asked what they were giggling at,
they told me they have EVERY ONE OF THE PROBLEMS  that I described. So I asked
why then don't they fix them and their answer was, they don't even have the
time to start the new backups to keep up with the new servers. For example,  I
showed them a pool report with a pool that had 500 tapes in it that were on
hold for 7 years. Their response was "Oh wow, do we still have that pool? We
could relabel those tapes now and save the company some money"   My Son-in-Law
was a backup admin and he asked my why he would need a tool like mine. Then he
called me on a Monday night and asked why a backup would be running since
Friday night and be on its 100th tape. I asked him if he knew what was being
backed up from every computer? He said no. Then I had a company ask why their
backup tapes weren't being released and they had to buy 1000 new tapes for $100
each? That's $100,000 if your counting. And when I looked at all the Save Sets
on a tape volume, I saw one Save Set on each of the daily backups that was on
hold for years, nobody knew the Networker commands to be able to diagnose the
problem. So take heart, I know where you are coming from and it in NO WAY
reflects the validity of your work or of your tool. Simply the expertise of the
person using it.  I have seen it and I too think it's a great tool. Keep up the
good work. Bill