Networker

Re: [Networker] Precedence of use - expired or blank tape, in the same pool?

2012-06-07 14:51:24
Subject: Re: [Networker] Precedence of use - expired or blank tape, in the same pool?
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 19:48:11 +0100
On 07/06/12 14:06, Michael Leone wrote:
> I have a question from my legal staff. Let's suppose I create a tape with
> a 2 months browse/retention policy. And I leave it in my library for more
> than 2 months - i.e., it is now older than it's expiration period, and is
> therefore recyclable (all savesets on the tape have expired). And I also
> have new blank tapes that are labeled in the same pool.
>
> Which will NW use first, if it needs a tape - will it re-label the
> recyclable tape, or will it use one of the blank unused tapes in the same
> pool? And what settings would control that?

This used to be a configurable item. I think it was part of the NSR
jukebox resource. I have looked, but this option no longer seems to be
available. I don't know when it was taken away but I guess it was
between 7.2 and 7.3, when some fairly major architectural changes were
made without incrementing the major release number.