Networker

Re: [Networker] Precedence of use - expired or blank tape, in the same pool?

2012-06-07 12:11:09
Subject: Re: [Networker] Precedence of use - expired or blank tape, in the same pool?
From: "Bowersock, Bryan" <Bryan.Bowersock AT AHSS DOT ORG>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 16:05:28 +0000
You could always set the tape volumes you don't want overwritten to a
"read-only" status - what I am unsure of is if Networker will still see the
data as expired and recycle it anyway.  I have to do that a lot as of late
because our offsite storage keeps sending back tapes that were sent just a week
or so before saying their retention period is up - our tape retention is 6
months and tapes are returning in 2 weeks.  So, under media I will set the tape
volume to read-only and then add the tape volume to Networker's library, and
inventory the tape volume(s) so I can check the savesets just to be sure they
were sent back prematurely.  I'm always afraid Networker will grab one by
mistake, but it's nice to refresh my memory on how it checks for available
media again.  Perhaps I'm just overcautious...

Bryan
Storage/Database Administrator