Networker

Re: [Networker] SAVEPNPC question about precmd in a Windows environment - RESOLVED

2012-02-22 12:55:11
Subject: Re: [Networker] SAVEPNPC question about precmd in a Windows environment - RESOLVED
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 12:54:24 -0500
So with the help of Tech Support, I resolved it. Apparently it was a
permissions issue - the client Networker services were running as SYSTEM,
and SYSTEM can't apparently run scripts (or wouldn't run my scripts, I
don't know which). Regardless, I changed the client Networker services to
run as a user with local admin privileges (that was able to execute the
script), then it all Just Worked. Support also said they had seen issues
where scripts must be invoked in the .RES file with the short 8.3 format
path, and in the CMD file as well.

So ... when doing "savepnpc", make sure the client  Networker services are
running as a user account that has access to execute your script, and not
as SYSTEM, under Windows.

Oh, and it seems that Networker will mark the job as completed, when it
calls the post cmd script .. and *not* when that script actually finishes.
It takes approx 5 minutes for my post cmd script to complete resuming the
application services, but Networker reported the job as complete when  the
script started, not when it finished .. .even tho the application that the
script was resuming was not yet available.

Just something to be aware of ....

--
Michael Leone
Network Administrator, ISM

EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
02/22/2012 09:32:38 AM:

> [...]
> >
> > on your savepnpc commands?
>
> You mean in the .RES file created by the savepnpc command? No ...
>
> type: savepnpc;
> precmd: "C:\\PHA_Scripts\\SuspendSourceOne.CMD";
> pstcmd: "C:\\PHA_Scripts\\ResumeSourceOne.CMD";
> # timeout: "12:00:00";
> abort precmd with group: No;
>
> I will try it with that change ...
>

> > jee
> >

> > On Friday 17 Feb 2012 15:49:23 Michael Leone wrote:
> > > There's something really not right here. Here is my precmd script:

> > > ECHO "Job (suspend) starting - %DATE% %TIME%"

> > > ECHO "Suspending Activity %TIME%"
>>"C:\PHA_Scripts\logs\Suspend.log"
> > > C:\Windows\SysWOW64\CSCRIPT.EXE "C:\PHA_Scripts\Source1
> > > Scripts\ES1_ActivitySuspend.vbs"
> > >
> > > ECHO "Suspending Archive %TIME%" >>"C:\PHA_Scripts\logs\Suspend.log"
> > > C:\Windows\SysWOW64\CSCRIPT.EXE "C:\PHA_Scripts\Source1
> > > Scripts\ES1_NativeArchiveSuspend.vbs"
> > > ECHO "Job (suspend) end - ACTIVITY/ARCHIVING suspended ..... -
%DATE%
> > > %TIME%" >>"C:\PHA_Scripts\logs\Suspend.log"
> > >
> > > C:\PHA_Scripts\blat C:\PHA_Scripts\Logs\Suspend.log -to
> > > Michael.Leone AT pha.phila DOT gov -subject "SourceOne Suspend Log"
> > >
> > > So it writes out lines to a log; calls out and executes a
> vendor-provided
> > > Visual Basic script; writes out more log lines; executes the second
> vendor
> > > provided Visual Basic writes out some final log lines; and then
emails
> me
> > > the log.
> > >
> > > Now, when I execute this command from the command line on my client,

> it
> > > takes about 5 minutes total to execute, since those 2 VB scripts
take
> > > while. Works perfectly - if I look at Source One after the script
> runs, it
> > > properly shows status as "PAUSED".
> > >
> > > Yet, when I call the above script as a precmd from Networker, I get
> this
> > > emailed to me:
> > >
> > > "Job (suspend) starting - Fri 02/17/2012 15:30:31.66"
> > > "Suspending Activity 15:30:31.66"
> > > "Suspending Archive 15:30:32.00"
> > > "Job (suspend) end - ACTIVITY/ARCHIVING suspended ..... - Fri
> 02/17/2012
> > > 15:30:32.39"
> > >
> > > So this tells me that the 2 VB scripts aren't executing at all,
since
> the
> > > log lines are written 0.35 seconds apart ...
> > >
> > > But why aren't they executed? They execute just jim dandy fine from
> the
> > > command line; it's only when Networker execute this script as a
precmd
> > > that it does nothing..
> > >
> > > Ideas, anyone? When I get back in on Tue, I will be calling EMC Tech
> > > Support, but I'd really like to figure out why. Permissions? How can
> > > determine that, or get around it? Networker executes as LOCAL SYSTEM

My