Networker

Re: [Networker] Backup Thruput with 10 Gbit NIC teamed with 1 Gbit for Fault-tolerance in Active/Passive mode

2012-02-08 15:30:14
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backup Thruput with 10 Gbit NIC teamed with 1 Gbit for Fault-tolerance in Active/Passive mode
From: SUBSCRIBE NETWORKER Sree <dalsc11 AT CELANESE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 15:29:50 -0500
Research notes I've made, it appears do'able - will post the progress
after we implement this;

Configure NIC Teaming with HP Proliant:

Network Fault Tolerance (NFT) with Preference Order

The need for ranking certain teamed ports better than others can be a
result of unequal speeds, better adapter capabilities (for example, higher
receive/transmit descriptors or buffers, interrupt coalescence, and so
on), or preference for the team’s primary port to be located on a specific
switch.

Preferred Primary Mode:
The last mode available for NFT is Preferred Primary mode. When choosing
Preferred Primary mode, the operator is presented with a drop down box to
select the “Preferred Primary Adapter”. The operator should choose the
adapter that, for a particular reason, is best suited to be the Primary
Adapter.

When an adapter is chosen as the Preferred Primary Adapter, it will be
used as the Primary Adapter whenever it is in an operational state. If the
Preferred Primary Adapter experiences a failover event, the NFT Team fails
over to a Non-Primary Adapter. If the Preferred Primary Adapter is
restored, the Team will then initiate a failback to the
Preferred Primary Adapter.

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 19:41:25 -0400, Sree wrote:

>Folks:
>
>Config: Networker 7.6.1 - Windows 2008 - Proliant G7 32 GB RAM, recent-
>model Cisco switch with limited 10 Gbit ports, many 1-Gbit ports.
>
>Plan: High speed thruput for Backups over 10 Gbit LAN port, but need
Fault-