Networker

Re: [Networker] NMC - "Can't decode result" error?

2012-01-19 10:56:40
Subject: Re: [Networker] NMC - "Can't decode result" error?
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 10:53:30 -0500
> Hi Michael,
>
> Greetings from another Philadelphian.

Yo! :-) (the traditional Philadelphia greeting, for those who don't know)

> The problem you describe is indeed strange. I work in a primarily
> Linux shop. On Linux, if I found that sort of issue, I would start
> sniffing packets going into and out of your NMC console server, so I
> suggest you do the same. Also, check your firewall and verify that
> no new rules were added or changed there recently.

Well, since then I have uninstalled the NMC Console server ... but can't
re-install it, since Windows is telling me that the DEP (Data Execution
Protection) needs to close the installer ... altho the actual install
process doesn't close. I don't let it finish, since who knows how screwed
up *that* would make things.

This machine has also not been able to install various .NET updates lately
as well. I have an idea that the whole OS is rotting from the inside out.
Since I only keep this VM around as an all purpose console machine
(Networker, antivirus, Citrix, etc) so that I need only connect to one
machine when I need to manage something remotely, I think it's time to
probably put it out of my misery, and rebuild it as a modern OS. That
should clear things up (I hope).