Networker

[Networker] Copy of clients between servers (only the configuration!)

2011-08-12 06:47:27
Subject: [Networker] Copy of clients between servers (only the configuration!)
From: ilpaccone <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 02:12:20 -0700
Hi there.
This is my first post on this Forum since usually I find all the answers I need
simply browsing the topics  :) but this time I didn't find anything similar to
my problem (or maybe I didn't looking for it with the right keywords).

[Arrow] We got a simple Backup Environment, with one backup server (currently
obsolete) running Windows 2003 and EMC Networker, and more or less 700 clients;
we got two libraries with LTO2 tapes to save data (about 8-9TB every week).
The unusual thing of the environment is that clients change with high frequency
(I have to remove, add or edit clients up to 50 clients in a week).
After a client deletion, I have to keep its data for one year.

[Arrow] We bought recently a new backup server (two machines running Windows
2008 in failover cluster mode, in order to improve reliability) and 192TB of
disk storage; we configured the system with EMC Networker and advanced files.
We tested the configuration for several groups/clients, and everything works
fine.

[Question]...and finally, the question: is there a method to import all clients
from the old backup server to the new one?
I mean: I don't need indexes and backup data and things like that, i need only
to copy the clients configuration in order to not configure all of them
manually, one-by-one.
Once finished, I can schedule the phase out of the old server coordinated with
the retention of the old backed up data.

Thank you all in advance for your tips & hints!

Roberto

|This was sent by roberto.caricato AT ext.jrc.ec.europa DOT eu via Backup
Central.