Networker

Re: [Networker] Issues after upgrade to 7.6.1

2011-03-30 19:28:08
Subject: Re: [Networker] Issues after upgrade to 7.6.1
From: "Brian O'Neill" <oneill AT OINC DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 19:27:11 -0400
On 3/24/2011 3:52 PM, Brian O'Neill wrote:
On 3/24/2011 3:39 PM, Paul Robertson wrote:
We are apparently running in the same issue after upgrading to 7.6.1 :-(

The only "fix" that seems to work is to add "user@host" to the Networker
"Administrators" user group, which seems a poor solution.

Did you ever find a solution that worked for you?

Not yet. I meant to try restarting the server stuff, but I likely won't
be able to do this until early next week.

Although for this particular host it wouldn't be a big deal for me to
put them in the Administrators group, it is definitely a poor solution
if I run into this later on servers where others have control.

Just following up to say that after a long webex with an EMC tech, we appear to have nailed down the issue to one of two issues - two changes were made so I'm not sure which.

One, which I don't think was likely, was that an old entry in the hosts file, which was for another floating service name, was listed both on the 127.0.0.1 and the proper IP. This did not match either the client or the service being backed up though.

The more likely issue was that the nsrladb on the client showed a very old host name and domain, related to that same hosts entry (although the domain was different). Apparently it came from way back when the original client was installed, and was the only host for the service, it bore the name of the service.

7.6.1 apparently may have used that old client name and refused the connection, but gave the WRONG hostname in the error message.

Removing the nsrladb (which contained nothing of importance for this client) resolved the issue.

-Brian