Networker

[Networker] Licensing question

2011-03-31 09:50:33
Subject: [Networker] Licensing question
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 09:49:49 -0400
I thought I knew this, but I guess I need to double check.

I have 115 licenses, but 128 clients defined.

nsrlic:
      STANDARD CLIENT LICENSES
                     Available: 115
                          Used: 115

>From bootstrap backup:
NetWorker savegroup: (notice) Bootstrap completed, Total 128 client(s),
128 Succeeded.

Now, those other 13 clients are just not in any scheduled backup jobs,
just the Bootstrap group, because I don't have enough client licenses for
them.  (hopefully I will be able to buy more licenses next month, when the
new budget goes into effect. I just wanted to define the clients now, so I
know how many more licenses I need to buy)

I have 2 or 3 clients that are on currently scheduled backup jobs, that I
don't need to back up anymore. So I was going to keep note of their client
ID (in case I ever need to recreate those clients in future), and then
delete those 3 clients from NMC.  I was then going to change 3 of  those
other 13 clients to include them in a scheduled backup job. Am I right in
assuming that as soon as I delete those 3 current client definitions that
I don't need, 3 licenses free up, to be assigned to whichever next 3
clients who ask for them? i.e., I only need to run a test job with the 3
clients I want to have licenses, and NW will assign the 3 freed up
licenses to this set of clients?

I ask, because I seem to remember trying to do things this way, and it not
working the way I thought it would ..

Am I correct in my assumptions?

--
Michael Leone