Networker

[Networker] Confused backuping W2008R2 ...

2010-10-18 07:36:37
Subject: [Networker] Confused backuping W2008R2 ...
From: Thierry Faidherbe <thierry.faidherbe AT FOREM DOT BE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 13:35:35 +0200
Friends,

How are you backuping your Win2008 Servers ?

At the beginning, our Windows guys were not interested
by Windows 2008 DR backups and asked me to backup
only the data from these servers. It's so fast and
easy to restage ... Now, they ask for OS recovery
in case of damage (corruption, human error, ....)

My idea was using MS WSB to backup c: disk only to a
Network share then dumping these files by Networker
to tape once a week and having normal client
backuping all client data daily. All of our Apps being
installed on D:, in case of a DR, I boot from DVD,
recover WSB bakup, reboot with not all services running,
and with networker, recover all remaining data.

How more I read and read again about backuping Win2008&R2,
how more confused I am. I rode again and again the
EMC Technical note from Powerlink "WINDOWS SERVER 2008
OFFLINE SYSTEM RECOVERY USING WINDOWS SERVER BACKUP
WITH NETWORKER NETWORKER RELEASE 7.4 SERVICE PACK 2
AND LATER" but ...

I did setup a set of shares, one share per Win2008R2 Server.
Within Windows Server Backup, different options
-Bare Metal
-System State
-Drive C, D, ....

If I select System State and Drive C (my boot disk), I have
to unselect pagefile.sys because file is taken during backup.
With 25GB of Memory, dumping 25GB of swap file is a nonsense.
Next, backup is verrrrrry slooooooooooooowwwwwwww.
In this case , if my server is still bootable, I can restore
from WSB backup to current OS instance but cannot do a
disaster recovery to a freshly os instance.

If I add Bare Metal, it also dump my pagefile.sys but worst,
do not let me skip it. It takes also all complete disks containing
at least 1 file (dll, driver or whatever) the OS is using.
And this should allow me to do disaster recovery of my server OS.

That said,
For a stupid file server : WSB size = 20GB, Ok.
For SCCM Server, Bare Metal adds drive D too.
So, WSB=30GB for drive C, 90 for drive D without being able to
skip files.. So WSB=120GB.
For our SCOM Server, ... WSB=80GB
For my backup server, networker is installed on D:
so, entire d drive containing binaries and indexes(CFI+MM) are also
taken when enabling Bare Metal. So, 40GB+100GB = 140GB !
What about for my SQL server ? will it also dump SQL dbs
at each WSB backups because DB files are in same drive SQL bins
are?

If as workaround for not having swapfile backuped with WSB and gain
a bit of space, I have to setup my pagefile on another
physical hdd. But if you server crashes, memory dump cannot
be saved neither.

How, God, take recoverable backups of these Fu%%%%g W2008 ?
Powerlink doc uses pre-post processing of WBadmin cmd
using "- allcritical" option (equivalent to System state+baremetal)

Thanks

TH

Kind regards - Bien cordialement - Vriendelijke groeten,

Thierry FAIDHERBE
Backup/Storage & System Management

LE FOREM - Administration Centrale
Département des Systèmes d'Information

Boulevard Tirou, 104  Tel: + 32 (0)71/206730
B-6000 CHARLEROI      Fax: + 32 (0)71/206199
BELGIUM               Mail : Thierry.faidherbe<at>forem.be