Networker

Re: [Networker] Confusing tape problem...

2010-10-18 07:11:56
Subject: Re: [Networker] Confusing tape problem...
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 07:11:43 -0400
On 10/15/10 11:48 AM, George Sinclair wrote:
> Francis Swasey wrote:
>> I am running Red Hat Linux (RHEL 4 32-bit and 5 64-bit).
>>
>> I started having this problem with NW 7.4.5.2 and am still having it with NW
>> 7.5.3.2.
>
> What does /usr/sbin/inquire show? Does it report your tape library?
> What about /proc/scsi/scsi ?

/usr/sbin/inquire on the networker server shows the tape library, on the
storage nodes that
have tape drives connected, it shows the connected tape drives.
/proc/scsi/scsi is the same,
containing the tape robotics on the networker server and the IBM ULTRIUM-TD4
tape drives on the
storage nodes as appropriate.

> What about /usr/bin/sg_map ? Does it report all the devices, including the
> robot? Can you run
> 'mt -f /dev/nst#' status for each device?

This is Red Hat and I don't have sg_map -- I'll have to google that one to see
what it does.
Yes, I can run 'mt -f /dev/nst#' for each of the devices and it works.

> Finally, is it possible that one or more modules required for proper tape
> functionality is not
> loaded? What does /sbin/lsmod report? Do you see mptbase, mptscsih, st ???

I believe all the proper modules are loaded, or this would be a solid failure
rather than a
frequent but unpredictable failure.  If I could reliably reproduce this, it
would be much
easier to diagnose.