Networker

Re: [Networker] Qualstar

2010-10-11 08:00:59
Subject: Re: [Networker] Qualstar
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 07:58:59 -0400
The XLS is a new design with the I/O slots that open on the front (holding a 10
tape
cartridge).  When the I/O Slots are opened and the cartridge holder removed,
you can stick your
arm inside the library.  Therefore, Qualstar designed the library to lock the
robot arm when
the I/O slots are opened.  It took a year of providing examples of tapes
getting "stuck" before
EMC finally provided a fix for the problem.

In a nutshell -- the XLS went "offline" when the I/O ports opened.  NetWorker
didn't notice.
NW would eject a tape and then discover the robot wouldn't move and fail the
unload operation.
 The problem was NW didn't recognize an already ejected tape -- and would fail
all future
unload attempts because the tape drive would return an error code that told NW
the tape it was
trying to eject was already ejected -- which NW would report as "drive not
ready, needs init".
 This was September 2007 to August 2008.