Networker

Re: [Networker] Qualstar

2010-10-08 16:10:52
Subject: Re: [Networker] Qualstar
From: "STANLEY R. HORWITZ" <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 16:08:40 -0400
On Oct 8, 2010, at 3:06 PM, Francis Swasey wrote:

> Hey, absolutely.
>
> I love the Qualstar LTO tape library we have.  It's an XLS 832700.  We have
> the one LRM and two
> MEM1's.  When we first got it in 2007, we didn't know whether to trust the
> library or NetWorker
> about whether a tape was really in the drive, so we took the cartridge slots
> off the doors so
> we could see into the LRM and visually check (without opening the door) what
> the drive status
> was.  That has been helpful, but the XLS has never lied to me about the
> status of a tape drive
> (while NetWorker is periodically confused).  Anyway, we have capacity for
> 2,505 cartridges.
>
> The tape library is rock solid, and after much work with EMC, NetWorker
> solidly supports the
> library now.

Same here. For the price Qualstar gets for its tape libraries, they are hard to
beat. I have a Qualstar 88132 model with 4 LTO-3 tape drives. It is a real
workhorse. We back up roughly 250 clients to it nightly with the four drives
connected to a Dell 2950 server running Red Hat Linux AS 4 and NetWorker 7.5.3.
Those four tape drives routinely see 80-90MB/sec throughput, which is pretty
good considering we only have two network drops on that server and no
disk-to-disk-to-tape involved.