Networker

Re: [Networker] networker server virtualisation

2010-05-20 11:50:50
Subject: Re: [Networker] networker server virtualisation
From: "STANLEY R. HORWITZ" <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 11:47:22 -0400
On May 20, 2010, at 11:05 AM, helenjay wrote:

> Hi All,
> Has anybody any experience in virtualising their networker server?  My boss
> is giving it serious thought, however i'm not quite convinced.  I know the
> idea is to share the resources but at the end of the day you're still sharing
> and the networker server is pretty demanding.  Anybody any
> thoughts/experience?

Server virtualization has many benefits, but virtualizing a backup server would
be a big mistake. The reason is that backups are all about throughput. Since a
typical backup server will likely need to monopolize its ethernet ports, it
stands a good chance of bringing the other VMs to their knees during the backup
window. Plus you add another layer of DR in the event the machine that hosts
your virtualized backup server fails.