Networker

Re: [Networker] Commands needed to make a set of tapes browse-able again?

2010-04-22 16:34:41
Subject: Re: [Networker] Commands needed to make a set of tapes browse-able again?
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 15:29:39 -0500
In regard to: [Networker] Commands needed to make a set of tapes...:

We have a 3 month browse period on our monthly backups. Just recently we
have been tasked with recovering some data off of a tape from last year.
The tape is already in the index, I see the volume in the Media section
in Networker. I would really like to know what the steps are in order to
make it browse-able so that I can restore data using Networker User.

What version of NetWorker is your backup server running?

If you want to be able to browse from the client to do the restore, you
have two options.

- (simple and straightforward, but slow) use scanner on the volume
  or on specific savesets on the volume to recreate the online index
  for the client in question.  Something like either

        scanner -i -c your.exact.client.name.here /dev/nst0

  or

        scanner -i -S 22334455 -S 33445566 /dev/rmt/0ubn

- (more complicated, especially with NetWorker >= 7.4.x, but fast) if you
  also have index:your.client.name savesets on the volume in question, you
  don't need to recreate the index using scanner, you can just load the
  old index using "nsrck -L7" and a savetime.

  This process used to be very easy, but sadly EMC has made it much more
  complicated in recent versions of NetWorker, so unless you're really
  pressed for time and you're willing to jump through some hoops, scanner
  is your best option.

  If you are interested in this procedure, read the documentation for
  nsrck, pay attention to the notes about -L7, and read the release notes
  for the NetWorker 7.6 software (even if you're using 7.4.x or 7.5.x).
  There is a procedure listed in the releases that you must now follow
  if you wish to load an index that is beyond the retention time.

You can avoid the need to browse altogether if you know the path
to the stuff you want to restore, but you mentioned browse and restore
so I assume that's the path you want to take.

Tim
edu