Networker

Re: [Networker] Directive to exclude a single directory

2010-03-31 12:16:54
Subject: Re: [Networker] Directive to exclude a single directory
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 11:15:49 -0500
In regard to: [Networker] Directive to exclude a single directory,...:

Very useful information, thanks.  I've been working with Unix/Linux for
a long time, but Networker is new territory for me.  Sometimes an
article can communicate different things to newbies vs. those who have
background knowledge about the topic, and that may be what happened
here.

Understood.

If the upgraded client mentioned above still tries to back up /system
tonight, I will need to tell Networker to skip it with directives.  That
is where the client side vs. server side question comes up.  Based on
your comments, it is better to add skip statements to the Unix Standard
Directives on the server (or a copy of them), and not use .nsr files on
the client.  Is that correct?

I think that a number of NetWorker administrators feel that way, perhaps
even the majority, but I personally don't have any strong feelings about
it.  The size of your environment is probably a consideration.  If you
need to make a directive change that needs to be applied to 1200 clients,
it's probably easier to apply and manage on the server.  If you need to
make a directive change on one client, then using client side directives
might be just fine.

In my environment, we have not modified any of the standard server side
directives.  There are other standard components that NetWorker will not
let you modify, so we've taken the approach that if it's a NetWorker
default, we leave it alone.

When we have needed to duplicate and add to the default server directives,
we have indeed completely copied them and then added our customizations.
We've tried to use a naming scheme so that our custom directives are
obvious.  Something like

        NDSU UNIX and Linux
        NDSU Windows

etc. so that all our custom directives sort into the same group in the
directives display.

Note that it is possible to use a generic set of directives for a large
group of clients, even when some of those directives don't apply for all
of the clients in the group.  You just need to be careful with doing this.
If you add

<< / >>
        +skip: system

to your "UNIX and Linux" directives so that /system is skipped on Solaris,
you need to be careful that some time down the road you don't add a new
client that actually has something valuable mounted under /system.

This is why Preston was rightly complaining in his blog about the lack of
an include or union method for server side directives.  If we had
something like that, it would be much easier to construct an a la carte
set of directives on the server.

You may want to search the archives for the list, one or two people have
posted what they're using for a custom set of directives for their
UNIX & Linux hosts, and I recall thinking they were much better than the
standard set or what I'm using.

Tim
edu