Networker

[Networker] /nsr/index Cleanup?

2010-03-24 09:46:18
Subject: [Networker] /nsr/index Cleanup?
From: tbirkenbach <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 09:44:01 -0400
> I'm unclear on why you would want to remove the client's media database
> entries using nsrmm? Why not just leave those in there and just get rid of
> the /nsr/index directory itself and the resource, too?

Most if not all the system that I remove from backup are dead and gone.  In my
(maybe somewhat vague) attempt at trying to keep a clean backup system, I try
and purge all non-active and non-relevant data.  You're right in that IF a
client needed to perform a recovery for a "dead and gone" system, then this
process would introduce unnecessary challenges had those references been left
in place.  I forewarn my customers telling that once they tell me to remove the
system from backup, after four weeks time (our standard retention time) all
references are purged, unless they request a longer retention period.

Maybe it's overkill.  Maybe it doesn't work the way I think it does, but this
is the info and process I collected from this forum when I asked a similar
question not too long ago.  If there's a better way, I'm happy to change my
procedures.  That's why I threw this info back out here, 1) to share what I've
collected, and 2) to see what others think.  I appreciate the feedback George!