Networker

Re: [Networker] /nsr/index Cleanup?

2010-03-23 18:30:40
Subject: Re: [Networker] /nsr/index Cleanup?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 18:27:54 -0400
tbirkenbach wrote:
We're running 7.5.1 on Linux x86. We have a number of old clients listed as
directories under /nsr/index, and although we do a little index maintenance on
a nightly basis, these old client directories aren't cleaned up (deleted) after
a client is removed from the NetWorker configuration. Am I missing something in
the manuals or does this matter at all?

I asked the same a while ago and from what I've collected from the NetWorker
'collective', I've put together the following "client purge process".

The following works on my NetWorker 7.3.4 on Solaris 8 system.

1) mminfo -ot -q 'client=client_to_be_deleted' -r ssid | xargs -n1 -i nsrmm -v
-S{} -dy
2) nsrck -Y -R client_to_be_deleted
3) Delete client entry in NetWorker Management Console (or nsradmin).
4) Delete client index directory.
        a. cd /nsr/index
        b. rm -r /nsr/index/client_to_be_deleted

I'm unclear on why you would want to remove the client's media database entries using nsrmm? Why not just leave those in there and just get rid of the /nsr/index directory itself and the resource, too?

The problem with removing the media database entries is that someone might possibly need to recover something from that client at some point in the near future. I guess, scanner could be used to recreate the index, or you could recover the index from tape (nsrck -L7), but how about if instead you simply remove the nsr resource, shut down NW but then instead of removing the directory just move it somewhere else, assuming you have space?

Then, if it's needed later for a recovery simply move or copy it back and then recreate the client (using same id). Of course, that might present a problem with having to recreate the client resource with possible DNS issues as it may no longer be recognized, but obviously you can trick your way around that with /etc/hosts.

Will this work?

George

-Tom

|This was sent by tom.birkenbach AT wmich DOT edu via Backup Central.

George Sinclair
Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210
- The preceding message is personal and does not reflect any official or unofficial position of the United States Department of Commerce -