Networker

Re: [Networker] VM BACKUPS USING VCB

2010-01-22 09:09:08
Subject: Re: [Networker] VM BACKUPS USING VCB
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 09:05:38 -0500
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
01/21/2010 11:10:21 PM:

> We're using NW 7.5.1 and backing up about 200 VM's...  (300 more to come
> this month).
>
> We don't have much data under each VM and we've gone sans VCB and are
very
> happy with it.
>
> Buy a license for each VMWare ESX server as a virtual client connection,
> install client under every VM, and dump them into a few groups...  We're
> only doing full's once a month, and have not experienced complaints.  We
> tried to group the VMWare clients by application so they are spread more
> evenly across the farm.

I'm confused. I install the NW client into every VM, and back up each VM
as if it was a physical client. Haven't had any problems. Then again, I've
never had to do a full bare-metal recovery yet, either.

Granted, I've only got maybe 60 VMs total, so not using VCB is manageable
(for me). But why would I need a virtual client connection for all 10 ESX
hosts, and what capability does that give me, that I do not have now?