Networker

Re: [Networker] How to redirect a saveset recover?

2010-01-22 09:14:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to redirect a saveset recover?
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 09:12:53 -0500
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
01/21/2010 04:18:24 PM:

> "you can not re-direct the recovery to another server from the
> server that you are running recover on"
>
> I respectfully disagree.
>
> recover -S [ssid] -iR -R [remote_client] -d [remote_directory]
>
> I do this from my NetWorker Server all the time.  In fact, I just
> did it a few seconds ago for testing this specific email.  However,
> maybe I'm not understanding the discussion fully?

That is what I thought. But that didn't work for me ... however, I was
also specifying the original client name, as well.

recover -s admnman004 -c ~nt_san1-1 -S 2932379725 -R nt_san1 -i R -d
h:\temp h:\users\policeops

So what I wanted was to restore "h:\users\policeops" out of SSID
2932379725, which was originally backed up from client ~nt_san1-1, and
redirect those files to h:\temp on client nt_san1. However, this command
did not work; would not execute. Just gave me back a help screen, listing
command line options. I was not trying this from my NW server, but from my
NW Console client. (I think I also tried it from the destination client;
i.e., nt_san1)

Perhaps I should not have had a space in "-i R"? Or should not have
specified "-c ~nt_san1-1", and instead just specified the SSID? Dunno. At
the moment, it's a bit of a moot point, since the decision was made that
we could live without those files. But it would be nice to know for future
reference.