Networker

Re: [Networker] Moving client to a different Networker server

2009-08-13 15:40:32
Subject: Re: [Networker] Moving client to a different Networker server
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 20:35:20 +0100
Greg Etling wrote:

> Interesting that it would appear then that EMC's own documentation and
> support reps have led me astray on this! The scanner -i suggestion
> (which the man page says "Rebuilds both the media and the online file
> indexes from the volumes read.") came from both the 7.4 DR Guide (pg.
> 46) and from an EMC support rep.

They're correct. Scanner rebuilds the media database and optionally the
client file index from the data save sets on the tape, but not from a
backed up index on the tape.

> I can certainly see that concurrent saveset IDs could cause a problem -
> but what I fail to see is how they don't become a problem in all
> scenarios you describe. Either via scanning in all old savesets or
> scanning as necessary; if you hit a saveset with a duplicate ssid,
> wouldn't you cause the same problems? And does the conflict arise from
> standard ssids, long ssids, or both? I only appear to have one short
> ssid conflict and no long ssid conflicts.

That's a good question and I am not certain of the answer. I assume that
it will renumber save sets as it scans them.

> Lastly, in scenarios 1 and 2, recognizing the limitations you have
> described, how do you use scanner to scan in savesets from which you
> need to restore, if the media db entries do not exist? Given that our
> retention period for these save sets is only three months, I will likely
> use scenario 2 but before I go forward I need to be sure to know how to
> run saveset and file level restores in the intervening three months.

Part of what scanner does is to recreate the media database entries as
it goes.