Networker

Re: [Networker] Moving client to a different Networker server

2009-08-13 15:57:47
Subject: Re: [Networker] Moving client to a different Networker server
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 05:53:06 +1000
On 14/08/2009, at 05:35 , Davina Treiber wrote:

I can certainly see that concurrent saveset IDs could cause a problem -
but what I fail to see is how they don't become a problem in all
scenarios you describe. Either via scanning in all old savesets or
scanning as necessary; if you hit a saveset with a duplicate ssid,
wouldn't you cause the same problems? And does the conflict arise from
standard ssids, long ssids, or both? I only appear to have one short
ssid conflict and no long ssid conflicts.

That's a good question and I am not certain of the answer. I assume that
it will renumber save sets as it scans them.

Savesets would not be renumbered on scan; during "tricky" recovery scenarios I've at several times tried to manually reconstruct tapes by moving data around and merging tapes - NetWorker embeds enough control/ meta-data information in savesets that it would do a monumental dummy- spit if it were told to recover ssid A at position X/Y/Z on media only to discover ssid B in that location...

One thing worth pointing out - in the move to NetWorker 6, as I recall, a great deal of fanfare was made by Legato about shifting to unique SSIDs, regardless of NetWorker server. If recollection serves, it was stated that it was "mathematically possible, but practically impossible" for two NetWorker servers to generate SSIDs that were the same. The SSIDs are now caused by some hashing mechanism that incorporates not only time of generation, but other unique factors (e.g., client name, etc.)

(While it's very common to have different savesets with the same cloneIDs (given that cloneIDs are an nsavetime-similar representation of when they were created), NetWorker doesn't care about that.)

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise

"Enterprise Systems Backup and Recovery: A Corporate Insurance Policy":

http://www.amazon.com/Enterprise-Systems-Backup-Recovery-Corporate/dp/1420076396

http://www.enterprisesystemsbackup.com

NetWorker blog: http://nsrd.wordpress.com