Networker

[Networker] Networker integrated Avamar de-dup schedules

2009-07-06 12:21:54
Subject: [Networker] Networker integrated Avamar de-dup schedules
From: brerrabbit <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 12:17:24 -0400
<snip>

stan wrote:

> I can't answer your question, but I do have a subsidiary question. We are
> thinking of getting an Avamar device here. What is the advantage of tying it
> into NetWorker, as apposed to using it standalone and using just the Avamar
> agent on each client? From my perspective, if we use Avamar without
> NetWorker, we can save a lot on annual maintenance because the Avamar agents
> are free.

Avamar, unfortunately, does not do everything well; it's a by-product of the
host-based architecture.   Since everything is loaded into RAM to be
chunked/hashed, extremely large files - I'm talking individual files, NOT
filesystems - can bog down your system.  For example, any program that
generates a multi-hundred gigabyte flatfile backup will almost certainly have a
dramatic impact on system performance.  Also, the NDMP backup support by Avamar
is orders of magnitude poorer than the native Networker support (Avamar's NDMP
backups require a special node to proxy the traffic, and its fairly slow).

On the other hand, what Avamar does well, it does REALLY well.  And having a
single administration/notification/management point for it AND Networker AND
Homebase simplifies things greatly.  We have Networker and Avamar and are not
yet running in a combined mode, but I look forward to the day that we can.
Your concerns about the licensing of the modules are certainly valid, and in
our case they don't apply, so I'll acknowledge  that we may be in the minority.

What irks me greatly is that while it is technically possible (and trivial) to
run the native Avamar system and clients at the same time you run a combined
Networker/Avamar deployment, it is NOT a supported configuration.  If that has
recently changed, someone please thwack me with a cluebat.  Other than the
capacity management issue, I can't understand why its NOT.......?

HTH
-- brerrabbit