Networker

Re: [Networker] LTO2 tapes with L1 in label

2009-06-04 07:37:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] LTO2 tapes with L1 in label
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 07:26:09 -0400
On 6/3/09 5:30 PM, Howie Jock wrote:
Hi Jim

YMMV but in my experience (IBM TS3310 tape library with LTO3 & LTO4
drives) LTO4 drives cannot be assumed to read LTO2 tapes. Our LTO3
drives can read & write LTO2 tapes reliably but the LTO4 drives cannot
even load them.

The LTO specs *require* that LTO4 drives load and read (not write) LTO2 media.

If NetWorker believes the tapes are LTO1 media (because of their barcode), it may not even try to load them into the LTO4 drives. However, if it does actually load the media, the drive should be able to figure out it is LTO2 media and properly read it. If it doesn't -- then the drive manufacturer (I assume IBM in this case) is not following the LTO specification and can't really claim that the drive is an LTO4 drive.

Frank