Networker

[Networker] de-duplication

2008-11-05 00:46:58
Subject: [Networker] de-duplication
From: tkimball <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 00:42:55 -0500
siobhanellis wrote:

> de-duplication at target, if you are using NetWorker, will pretty much fall
> into using EDL (EMC Disk Libraries). Now they have OEM'd Quantum's VTL
> software they have de-dupe on there. However, at the moment, they do not have
> the storage node capability for NetWorker, ironically only NetBackup.

It may also be possible to use something like the Cypress (GreenBytes) NAS and
use its internal de-dup/compress for adv_file devices (over iSCSI).  Networker
wouldn't know, or care.

http://green-bytes.com/cypress.html

We're trying to get one here in order to test that theory, since it *may* be
able to replace the two *racks* of StorageTek Flex disk we use for adv_file
today (we have a Tier 4 DBO).

Of course, the sales folks got real silent when I mentioned using it in
environments with pre-compressed data (our Sybase dumps, which is about 20 TB
currently - about half the 'real' disk space of the Thumper chassis that
Cypress uses).  I wanted to know how their de-dup extensions to ZFS would work
out here, since it was a proprietary change to the code.

--TSK