Networker

Re: [Networker] de-duplication

2008-11-05 09:13:11
Subject: Re: [Networker] de-duplication
From: "Brian O'Neill" <oneill AT OINC DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 09:10:32 -0500
Francis Swasey wrote:
On 11/5/08 8:29 AM, Siobhán Ellis wrote:
over time you will see a degredation in performance of the advft dev. By completly staging everthing, and starting from scratch, you will find that your performance increases again.

Interesting. I've got AFTD's that have been in active (continuous) use for multiple years on Solaris and Linux and I've never experienced this issue. What server OS are you running?

I would presume a fragmentation issue would be with the choice of filesystem, not with AFT devices themselves.

I'm using Linux with ext3, and don't have any real issues, but I stage everything off it periodically, don't let it get full ever, and my situations generally aren't as performance-conscious so I haven't looked at it too closely. There are probably one or two other FS choices for Linux that might be better.

-Brian