Networker

[Networker] Quality of the tapes

2008-08-18 03:26:35
Subject: [Networker] Quality of the tapes
From: tkimball <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 03:21:57 -0400
kurianv wrote:
> if what peter viertel told was correct , thn how cum the data for SAP and
> unix datas the tapes showed 400 Gb of data, whereas windows it showed 135-180
> Gb data?
>
> So there is sumthin wrong with this?

In our environment, Windows backups are historically problematic
compression-wise (as well as overall speed, which also affects compression).

It appears that about 80% or more of the datasets are compressed on those
clients in some form (including parts of the OS itself, depending on version),
so a backup of those will come up with - at best! - 1.2:1 and lower.  I've seen
one client end up at 'negative' compression as mentioned by Peter.

And I'm not going to discuss the MSCS Cluster (*sigh*) other than saying that I
REALLY like having big disk for his Full.

Also, check the layout of the Windows boxes, compared with the UNIX ones; the
'fast' UNIX boxes may have several filesystems at a reasonable size, whereas
the Windows boxes may just have one huge C: drive.  When I can get folks to
create Windows boxes with a second disk for data, things become more manageable
for their backup.

I have to also agree with Peter and suggest you consider LTO, if at all
possible.  I've had a very happy upgrade to LTO-2 (from DLT-7000 though) and my
media deaths have gone down significantly.  If you can also get a little disk
to 'cache' the big and slow PCs, it may help too (YMMV here, always test ;) ).

--TSK
Tim Kimball