Networker

Re: [Networker] Quality of the tapes

2008-08-05 08:41:34
Subject: Re: [Networker] Quality of the tapes
From: "Goslin, Paul" <pgoslin AT CINCOM DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 08:35:22 -0400
In my opinion, this is Micro-managing something to death that doesn't
need it...
The effort expended in doing this will not be worth the minor benefits
gained...
We have IBM LTO2 drives and use Dell branded tapes (I'm sure they're not
made by Dell, just re-branded from a reputable manufacturer like
quantum, etc. Dell seems to re-brand a lot of stuff, but most if it
seems to be pretty good quality). I have also noticed the range of tape
capacity can vary greatly, but I think this is more due to the type of
data written to them and whether it is compressed before it reaches the
tape drive. If it's compressed first, you end up with a higher data
density and therefore, more of it fits on a tape. I don't think it has
anything to do with the tape quality. Data already on a tape has no
'quality' per say, the only thing that matters is: can the tape be read
by Networker when doing a restore ? If the answer is yes, that's all you
can hope for, otherwise it could be a bad tape and needs to be pitched
because it's not worth the risk of recycling it and not being able to
depend on it for a restore if needed. LTO2 tapes are supposed to have a
limit of 50 cycles (each label operation begins a new cycle). We have
not reached that limit yet with any of our tapes so far (we have approx
1400), but if we begin to get tape errors, we may replace them with new
tapes when that time comes...