Networker

Re: [Networker] Can someone confirm the following about "scratch"

2008-05-02 21:34:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] Can someone confirm the following about "scratch"
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 01:30:32 +0000
On Fri, May 02, 2008 at 06:38:07PM -0400, Dennis Peacock wrote:
> I'd love to know how to setup a scratch pool on Networker and have all
> expired volumes go TO the scratch pool. Just like Backup Express or
> Netbackup.

There's no simple setting to accomplish that.

You can do it with scripts, but I don't usually recommend doing so.
Trying to make Networker run like Netbackup, or Netbackup run like
Networker isn't my idea of fun in the long run.

NetBackup doesn't track expired images.  So it's very easy for it to
modify the pool tracking of an expired volume (and it doesn't require
writing to the tape).  Networker does track expired images, and it
requires that the pool on tape match the pool in the database.  So you'd
have to mount, relabel, and erase the data on the tape to go back to a
scratch pool, then you'd have to relabel it again when it went to the
actual destination pool.

Usually the big advantage of a scratch pool is the ease of tracking
available tapes.  That's probably better accomplished in Networker with
an 'mminfo' query or two for expired, online volumes.