Networker

[Networker] "Probe" errors when trying to back up remote clien

2008-03-11 09:20:30
Subject: [Networker] "Probe" errors when trying to back up remote clien
From: bbemis <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 09:17:06 -0400
Fazil Saiyed wrote:
> Hello,
> The example is for the Host file on the server, the logic is that if you
> have multiple network on your backup server, some clients can be backed up
> using Servers NIC # 1 ( What ever IP that may be) and some clients using
> Servers NIC # 2 ( what ever the ip that may be).

Ok, I guess that's where my confusion is coming from. The 2 NIC's I had
mentioned were on the client. While there are 2 NIC's on the server, I don't
think that's the cause of the problem since I don't have problems backing up
any other clients, just this one remote client (which happens to also have 2
NIC's). As far as the server goes, I have tried a couple different scenarios;
including "teaming" the 2 NICs, unplugging 1 NIC entirely, as well as having
each NIC on a different LAN. In all of these cases, I haven't had problems
backing up clients, except for this one remote client.

Is there anything I should be doing on that client to designate that it uses
one of its NIC instead of the other? I don't think the server's NICs have
anything to do with the problem I'm seeing.

Here's a little diagram so I don't cause anymore confusion:

Networker Server (public IP/no NAT) -- Firewall --Internet ---- (Public IP) DSL
Modem (192.168.1.254) --- (192.168.1.1) Firewall (192.168.10.1) ----
(192.168.10.10) Client (10.10.1.1) ---- Internal LAN (no Internet Access)

Both the DSL Modem and the remote Firewall are set up in a 1-to-1 NAT
configuration, so all open ports on the modem are forwarded to the firewall,
and those ports are in turn forwarded to the remote client. I realize it
probably could have been set up using IP-passthrough on the modem so that the
firewall gets the public IP, but since this is a remote site (with no IT staff
available), I'm hesitant to make any changes remotely.

Also worth noting is that the client's two NICs are not bridging and the
internal LAN does not have Internet access.