Networker

Re: [Networker] "Probe" errors when trying to back up remote client

2008-03-10 16:48:30
Subject: Re: [Networker] "Probe" errors when trying to back up remote client
From: Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 15:43:47 -0500
Hello,
The example is for the Host file on the server, the logic is that if you
have multiple network on your backup server, some clients can be backed up
using Servers NIC # 1 ( What ever IP that may be) and some clients using
Servers NIC # 2 ( what ever the ip that may be).
In order for this logic to work the host file on the server should be
configured with two host entries for your backup server ( this names
should also be specified on servers alies properties)
i.e
Your backup server is called JUPITER that has two NICS as below
JUPITER=Your backup Server
HOST file should look like this on your server
10.10.10.0      JUPITER                 JUPITER.YOURDOMAIL.COM
20.20.20.0      JUPITERB                JUPITER.YOURDOMAIL.COM
Lets assume that "20.20.20.0" is your interface to talk to firewall
servers or backup Lan, then any client that you want to backup over that
interface should
be configured with " Server Network Interface"  parameter on the client's
interface, so that backup traffic flows over that interface.
Not sure where it's documented, but its well known method that many of the
networker admins use when having to direct the traffic over multiple
lan\firewall interfaces.
HTH

bbemis <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
03/10/2008 12:58 PM
Please respond to
NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject

Fazil Saiyed wrote:
> Hi,
> Can you try applying " Server Network Interface" settings for this
failing
> client, in order to do this, you would first need to setup the server to

> respond to the new interface setting via host file, if you do not use
this
> method now.
> i.e as an example, where
> IPA is your regular network
> IPB is your backup network or Firewall  interface.
> HOST FILE
> SERVERA  IPA "10.10.10.0"
> SERVERA IPB  " 20.20.20.0"

Ok, just to clarify, this is the hosts file that goes on on my NW Backup
server, or on the client? And "SERVERA" is the client I'm looking to
backup with "IPA" and "IPB" being the name I designate for the network
interface of that client? Is this documented anywhere?

|This was sent by brian.bemis AT uconn DOT edu via Backup Central.

type