Networker

Re: [Networker] Long NDMP Backups

2008-02-28 13:46:19
Subject: Re: [Networker] Long NDMP Backups
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 18:39:23 +0000
On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 12:31:28PM -0500, Matthew Huff wrote:
> As far as it is using snapshots, the one thing to be aware of is that
> because it creates a snapshot if someone deletes a bunch of data, the
> snapshot will become large (in order to capture the previous
> state). If someone is deleting disk space because the filer is near
> full and the backups are still running, the delete won't free up any
> space. Remember that snapshots created for backups aren't limited by
> the snapshot reservation % that you set up.

No snapshot is ever limited by the snapshot reservation.  Backup,
periodic, or explicit.

It's just that you don't have the freedom to delete the snapshot without
cancelling the backup as well.

> One thing that I'm curious about that may make this whole subject a
> moot point is how Networker handles NDMP. I can't remember where I
> heard this, most likely from this forum, but does Networker NDMP
> create a snapshot of the volume and then backup that snapshot? I see
> that in the logs and if that is so, do I care how long the backup
> takes if it is truly a snapshot and not the live data?

That's correct.  Technically, this has nothing to do with networker
handles NDMP, but is how Network Appliance handles backups (including
NDMP).  You can see the snapshot in snap list during the backup.  You
can also see the name of it in the backup logs on the filer.  Other
appliances may have completely different behavior.