Networker

Re: [Networker] Long NDMP Backups

2008-02-28 16:24:17
Subject: Re: [Networker] Long NDMP Backups
From: Yaron Zabary <yaron AT ARISTO.TAU.AC DOT IL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 23:18:49 +0200
Troy Kutil wrote:
Thanks Matthew.
I just want to confirm that you are saying that Networker itself creates a snapshot, not to be confused with the snapshots that the Netapp filer is creating on a schedule.

No. Networker does not know about the snapshot. It is invoking NetApp's dump command. This command creates a temporary snapshot and transfers its content to the storage node (if you use DSA) or directly to an attached tape (with regular NDMP).

I am almost sure that this is the same approach when you are running a dump on the filer to a local tape without a Networker server at all.

Troy Kutil
Phone 262-783-8289
Fax 262-373-5689
Milwaukee Electric Tool