Networker

Re: [Networker] New hardware for client retaining original name

2008-02-19 22:04:15
Subject: Re: [Networker] New hardware for client retaining original name
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 21:51:55 -0500
On Feb 19, 2008, at 8:29 PM, Werth, Dave wrote:

We are running Networker 7.2. Shortly we will be replacing the hardware
for 2 clients but retain the same name and I'd like to retain the same
Networker indexes for them as well.  In both cases the OS will go from
Windows 2000 to Windows XP.  One is our main file server system and it
will go from 3 drives (besides the C: drive) to 4 drives. The other is
my personal workstation and there is no change in the hardware
configuration.

I've spent 45 minutes perusing the EMC/Networker support site but
haven't been able to find anything specific about it. IIRC there is an
id or something that you have to duplicate for the new system.  So how
can I upgrade the hardware (and OS) of a client and have the Networker
Server still consider it the same client, just reconfigured?

Dave;

As long as your workstation and the other client retain the same host names, you don't need to do anything special to keep backing them up. Do keep in mind that if you need to recover data that was backed up prior to switching to new hardware that you can only recover data to the same file system type (e.g., FAT32-to-FAT32). You only need to copy of the client ID if you are renaming a client, but replacing a client and retaining the same network host name is not a big deal.