Networker

Re: [Networker] Confusion over chkconfig values for networker?

2008-01-29 15:56:58
Subject: Re: [Networker] Confusion over chkconfig values for networker?
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 14:53:18 -0600
In regard to: [Networker] Confusion over chkconfig values for networker?,...:

Can someone please tell me what the chkconfig values should be for networker?

The startup script itself (/etc/init.d/networker) has the line '# chkconfig: 35 95 05'

Then that's what the chkconfig value should be.

That tells me that there should be an 'S95networker' under /etc/rc3.d and rc5.d only. Also, there should be a 'K05networker' under /etc/rc0.d. BUT, on these snodes, there's also an 'S95networker' under rc2.d and rc4.d, and I guess that makes sense given the chkconfig values, but this is beyond the values (35) that the actual init.d script says.
It's not like it says '2345 95 05'.

You don't say what version of NetWorker you're using, which is probably
relevant.  Run

        rpm -q --scripts lgtoclnt

and look at the preinstall and postinstall scripts.  You'll probably note
that the scripts don't fully utilize chkconfig -- the symlinks are created
and removed manually (in some cases), rather than just doing

        chkconfig --add networker

or

        chkconfig --del networker

The rpms for NetWorker have gotten better over the years, but they're
still not perfect.  It's possible the discrepancy you're seeing is a
product of the way things are done -- partially the chkconfig way,
partially the way that's compatible with UNIX platforms.

1. Should I chkconfig those two values off?
chkconfig --level 24 networker off

If it's really bugging you, go ahead.  You should know (after the next
reboot) if that was a mistake or not.  I suspect not.  Alternately, you
could completely reinstall the software on your storage node, and see if
the discrepancy still exists after the reinstall.

2. Are these supposed to be 'on' maybe for snodes but 'off' for regular clients?

I don't think so.

3. Just for laughs, I chkconfiged level 2 'on' for a regular client and then 'off' again, and it creates the '/etc/rc2.d/S95networker' sym link when you turn it on, and then removes it
and adds a 'K05networker' when you turn it off.

Which is exactly what chkconfig should be doing based on the settings in
the script.

Does it make sense to still have the K05networker
sym link there???

Yes, based on the chkconfig values in the script.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                        Tim.Mooney AT ndsu DOT edu
Information Technology Services                   (701) 231-1076 (Voice)