Networker

Re: [Networker] duplicate name; pick new name or delete old one

2008-01-30 04:37:03
Subject: Re: [Networker] duplicate name; pick new name or delete old one
From: MELTEM GORGOREN <meltem.gorgoren AT VODAFONE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 11:29:47 +0200
There is no bug id for this issue.

You can find a service request that we have opened to EMC and related
instrcutions for this problem.

Problem:
You are receiving errors when NetWorker attempts to label tapes
automatically reporting: -
Error: duplicate name:  pick new name or delete old one.
You have "match bar code labels set to yes" and due to this error being
reported scheduled saves during the backup window are being delayed due to
the tape requests not being serviced correctly.

Recommendation:

I stated in my mail that there are usually 2 causes of this issue: -
1. Drive mapping changing ¿ this is as a result of persistent binding not
being correctly implemented/configured within the storage nodes and
NetWorker server OS.  To allow the tape devices to be consistently
recognized by the OS with the same ¿name¿ persistent binding must be
configured.  Each Unix/fabric vendor has different instructions on how to
do this, and I cannot supply these instructions to you.  However I believe
the Unix Administrators should be able to ensure this is on place.  There
are patches and instructions for Microsoft Windows which are detailed in a
Support Note in our Knowledgebase reference esg83905.  If the above is not
in place then NetWorker has the potential to load two drives and write to a
different tape unknowingly.
2. Core dumping daemons ¿ this was an issue at very early releases of 7.3.
You should be highlighted to this quickly as we record the fact there has
been and issue and core dumps are produced under /nsr/cores/<daemon name>
directories.  The situation here is that the code has an issue and only
partially completes the process updates required leaving us in an
inconsistent state for the label written to tape and the Media database
entries.  Apart from identifying this has happened there is really no other
action you can take apart from ensuring that when this occurs you identify
the issue as soon as possible.
3. With respect to NetWorker keep wanting to use the same volume with the
issue there are changes scheduled for the product so if this is encountered
we treat it similar to a hardware issue on a tape drive and keep some type
of ¿error count¿ for the volume, then once this hits a threshold target we
stop considering this volume for selection.  This function is not in the
present releases but is planned; however I do not have the details of the
expected release where this will be introduced.
I hope this goes some way to explaining the situation and causes to your
satisfaction and again apologise for you having to prompt me for a
response.

Problem:
You are receiving errors when NetWorker attempts to label tapes
automatically reporting: -
Error: duplicate  name:  pick   new  name or  delete   old   one
You have "match bar code labels set to yes" and due to this error being
reported scheduled saves during the backup window are being delayed due to
the tape requests not being serviced correctly.

Recommendation:

1.  I have identified certain tapes from the log files which are causing
this issue to be seen.  From the list below we may be able to identify the
root cause, however this may not be possible.  Due to the nature of the
possible causes it is possible that more tapes could exhibit his behaviour
in the future as they become recyclable, each possible cause can be looked
at individually and the necessary actions taken to correct the problem.
2.Usually this issue is experienced from 2 sources: -
a). A drive mapping issue which could have been corrected, however due to
the mapping being incorrect some tapes could have been labelled with a
volume name which does not match the outside bar code of the physical tape.
This is the most likely reason given the version of software you are
running, however I cannot discount b). below.
b).  There was an issue when last labelling the tape and not all the
necessary updates were carried out to the media database due to a problem
with the daemon (usually a core dump).  This usually happened on very early
versions of 7.3.3 but could happen on your software version also.
3.  For the Drive Mapping issue as a cause: -
a).  As I do not have the output from nsrjb for each jukebox I would like
you to look for the tape volumes in the relevant jukebox and see if the
volume label from NetWorker actually matches the bar code reported for the
tape.  As you have "match bar codes" set this should always be the case,
however if there has been a drive mapping issue in the past (how long ago
will depend upon the retention times you have for the data) they may
possible not be in sync.
b).  If you have the situation above then you will correct this by doing
the  following: -
i). Mark the volume as manual recycle.
ii). Look for the NetWorker volume which has a NetWorker label referenced
by this volumes bar code.  There can be a maximum of 3 volumes in a chain,
it is more common that 2 volumes are linked.  Mark this volume also
manually recyclable.
iii).  When both volumes are recyclable within NetWorker then delete both
volumes from the Media Database and client file index and relabelled
manually.
4. For the Label update not 100% complete: -
a). Usually for this the volid on the tape does not match the volid written
on the tape as part of the labelling process.  These messages are usually
reported also in the daemon.log file however I do not see then in the log
files you have supplied.  We can confirm the volid entry matches the volid
written on the tape by running the following command for each volume: -
nsrjb -lvvv -S <slot number of tape> -j <jukebox name>
or
nsrjb -lvvv -T <bar code> -j >jukebox name>
If these command complete without reporting an issue with the volid then
this is not the cause f the duplicate name error.
b).  If the volid does not match the we need to do the following to correct
the issue: -
i).   The volume is recyclable as NetWorker would not attempt to reuse the
volume otherwise.
ii).  We need to delete the volume from the media database and label the
tape into a pool.
5.  List of volumes which have an issue: -
B00616JJ
B01207JJ
B01231JJ
B01253JJ
B01275JJ
B01737JJ
B01739JJ
A00044JA
A00270JA
A00624JJ

Meltem

             Peter Viertel
             <Peter.Viertel@MA
             CQUARIE.COM>                                               To
             Sent by: EMC              NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU

             NetWorker                                                  cc
             discussion
             <NETWORKER@LISTSE                                     Subject
             RV.TEMPLE.EDU>            Re: [Networker] duplicate name;
                                       pick new name or delete old one

             29.01.2008 01:43

             Please respond to
               EMC NetWorker
                discussion
             <NETWORKER@LISTSE
              RV.TEMPLE.EDU>;
             Please respond to
               Peter Viertel
             <Peter.Viertel@MA
               CQUARIE.COM>

Same here...   Currently I cope with this by having a script that does
'nsrmm -o manual' automatically - I decided not to delete automatically
because there is a chance of a false positive...

Then I just sit down every now and then and verify and relabel all the
ones with X   (recyclable AND manual).

type