Networker

[Networker] tapes suddenly being marked full when they are not...

2007-12-17 09:51:06
Subject: [Networker] tapes suddenly being marked full when they are not...
From: mark wragge <mark_t_wragge AT YAHOO DOT IE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 14:49:05 +0000
Last week we had some problems with our tape library (STK L700 14 * LTO 2
devices) and one drive was replaced. Following the drive replacement we had to
delete the library from within Networker (Solaris 9 7.3.2_jumbo11) and
re-create it. We shutdown the library, the acsls server and networker server
and storage nodes and after bringing them all backup we re-created the library
successfully.

  On the weekend we noticed that our backup server is marking tapes full
prematurely. Some of them are marked full after 2gb, some after 100gb but one
thing each tape has in common is that there are savesets on it with status of
"in progress suspect".

  No backups are currently running so the savesets should not be in-progress. I
have examined the daemon.log and there does not appear to be a pattern to the
marking full of the tapes. The device marking a tape full can be any one of the
14 devices on one of 4 storage nodes (cancelling the new drive as the source of
the problem).

  There has been no patching or firmware upgrades in the past weeks. We are
using persistent bindings on all servers. ANy idea what could be causing this?

  Thanks, Mark