Networker

Re: [Networker] Problem with NDMP devices

2007-10-19 14:12:20
Subject: Re: [Networker] Problem with NDMP devices
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 14:02:39 -0400
On Oct 19, 2007, at 1:16 PM, Fazil Saiyed wrote:

Would it be an option for you to redefine the NDMP devices with ( NDMP) in
it ?
Make sure you verify filers sysconfig -t and chose non-rewind device
definitions when creating the NDMP devices.
It may be possible that jbconfig might be creating the device you want and
also the device that he should and then you run into the communication
issues.
Try using MT cmd from the filer to verify the NDMP devices are working
properly and also inquire from the backup server.
inquire -N -T -t  ( double check the man page)

When I use that inquire command, I get the following output ...

=== begin ===
Communicating to devices on NDMP Server 'bootz', this may take a while...
Server Debug: The process id for NDMP service is 29668
NDMP Tape Server 'xxx' does not support of auto-discovery of SCSI and TAPE Devices. Will perform the operation on a single Jukebox in which you are interested.

Enter NDMP Jukebox handle: ? ^C

What is the NDMP Jukebox handle?

My filers are Mirapoint message stores, so I can't enter commands such as sysconfig on them. Output from "mt" on the server that hosts the tape library (and NDMP devices) is

=== begin ===
SONY 1/2 INCH S-AIT tape drive:
   sense key(0x0)= No Additional Sense   residual= 0   retries= 0
   file no= 0   block no= 0

I don't know if that is correct or not. That device does have a tape in it which will not unload via nsrjb because it gets communications errors.

I just finished a webex with someone from EMC and now, she's conferring with a colleague about this situation. If you have any other ideas, please let me know.