Networker

Re: [Networker] stinit.def (again)

2007-08-01 15:36:37
Subject: Re: [Networker] stinit.def (again)
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 14:32:58 -0500
In regard to: [Networker] stinit.def (again), Oscar Olsson said (at 2:34pm...:

I'm trying to setup a two-drive LTO-2 configuration with a HP DL160 G2
server as the backup server. Its running SLES9 SP3. It seems like I've
run into the old stinit.def problem again, as there is none in the
system per default, and the block size doesn't seem to make sense at
all.

I'm having a hard time finding any specs for the stinit.conf on the net,
or on powerlink. Is there a "master" file which contains relevant config
for each type of drive, or are tape drive manufacturers supposed to come
up with these configs themselves? I can't seem to find any docs on
hp.com either.

Or am I missing something else?

Not really.  Vendor help with stinit.def is still pretty hit-or-miss.
st.conf used to be pretty much required on Solaris (less so, these days),
so tape and library vendors were conditioned to provide st.conf entries
for their drives.  stinit.def hasn't been as mandatory for basic
functionality on Linux, so vendors often don't supply that kind of
template.

The approach we've taken is to push the library vendor to provide the
stinit.def.  We've been fortunate to have StorageTek (now Sun) as our
library vendor for years, and our FSEs are top-notch, so we've always
(eventually) gotten at least some suggestions for an stinit.def.

IMHO, if a library vendor says that they support Linux, you should be able
to say "prove it!", meaning "provide an stinit.def file for the drives
you just sold us".  If they can't do that, they probably don't mean what
they say, and I would question how much support you're really going to get
from them.

BTW, I've written or tuned entries for several different types of drives
at this point, so if you need help (I doubt it, I know how capable you
are), let me know.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                        Tim.Mooney AT ndsu DOT edu
Information Technology Services                   (701) 231-1076 (Voice)