Networker

Re: [Networker] Performance tuning

2007-06-06 17:16:59
Subject: Re: [Networker] Performance tuning
From: Barton <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 18:42:15 -0700
so many considerations here! There's memory, cpu, network etc. but from a
purely Networker point of view I would just say - parallelism.

Here's a simple ex. a Solaris filesystem /db contains 200 x 2GB database files.
If this were backed up as one "saveset" performance would be poor. In this
situation I would try to create say 10 even sized savesets (20 files each) -
/db/1, /db/2, /db/3 etc.  You could for example achieve this using symlinks
etc. When this client is backed up Networker will run these savesets in
parallel (there are parallelism settings for server, jukeboxes etc that need
tuning)

There is a point of diminishing return for this, I have found 10-12 parallel
savesets works well on 4 cpu Solaris machine with no other significant
processing.

The gist of this is to keep your cpu and network busy and your tape drives
streaming.