Networker

Re: [Networker] Performance tuning

2007-06-08 12:46:51
Subject: Re: [Networker] Performance tuning
From: John Stoffel <john.stoffel AT TAEC.TOSHIBA DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 12:43:36 -0400
webby850> Thank you all for the tips and suggestions.  I am going out
webby850> of town for a week but when I get back I will be putting
webby850> some of the practices mentioned here into play.  I have
webby850> noticed that parallelism is only set to 8 right now so will
webby850> up that to 28 to start.  Also, I want to get my interface to
webby850> 1GB to help with any possible network issues, plus put into
webby850> the place the kernel tuning.

Here's your problem right there.  If your backup server only has
100Mb/sec connection, and it's backing up remote clients, then you'll
only ever be able to push, at most, 12MB/s to your tape drives.  I
seem to recall you writing that you could only get 4MB/sec to each of
your LTO tape dives.

Upgrade to at LEAST a single Gbit/sec interface and you'll see much
better performance.

webby850> From there I will see what happens and report back what I
webby850> have found.  Again, I really appreciate everyone's replies
webby850> on this topic.  I am new to Networker but an old hat on
webby850> Netbackup.

John